Graduate Certificate in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
If you teach or assist foreign-language speakers with learning English – whether it is within ministry, as a missionary, as a teacher or paraprofessional in schools, or as a volunteer, Cornerstone University PGS can help you reach across the language barrier. Our Graduate Certificate in TESOL offers the theoretical knowledge of language structure and practical teaching skills you need to connect with all your students.
What You Can Learn – TESOL Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in TESOL is a 10 month, 24-credit hour, master’s-level educational program that aims to produce graduates who can understand how languages develop in society and are acquired by individuals, and who can successfully design educational programs for second-language students. Courses in this program include:
- Issues in TESOL
- TESOL Methodology I
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Advanced English Grammar
- Second Language Acquisition
- Application of Technology in TESOL
- TESOL Capstone, which includes a 60-hour Practicum or a thesis
Available to domestic or international students, the Graduate Certificate in TESOL features a Christ-centered learning environment. It is available either fully online or in a blended format that combines online classwork with a 6-day residency in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Online courses offer students the flexibility they need to complete assignments in their own time, while still allowing for interaction with instructors and classmates. Students choosing the online format are required to attend an approved TESOL conference or seminar each year of their study, with an expectation of students attending one conference or seminar in total. Students also have the opportunity to put their skills to the test first-hand, with short foreign study experiences in Europe.
This program is open to individuals without teaching qualifications. Applicants must:
- Provide official transcripts from an accredited higher education institution, proving the applicant holds a bachelor’s degree and graduated with a 2.7 GPA or higher (international applicants will need to have a credential evaluation completed).
- Submit two letters of recommendation on the forms Cornerstone provides. One letter must come from a person in a supervisory position at the student’s current employer, and should outline the applicant’s suitability for graduate-level study, personal qualities, and professional achievements. The other should be written by an individual (e.g., former instructor) who can vouch for the applicant’s academic abilities.
- Achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 577 (paper-based test), 233 (computer-based test), 90-91 (Internet-based test) or a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 if English is not the student’s primary language.
- International students must provide an Affidavit of Support proving the student has the financial resources necessary to complete the program.
- Submit a current resume providing information on the applicant’s professional, academic and community achievements
Get Started Today
Contact Cornerstone University PGS today to learn how you can earn your TESOL Graduate Certificate with us!