MASTER’S DEGREES IN EDUCATION AND TESOL
LEAD BY EXAMPLE THROUGH LIFELONG LEARNING
Find professional development for educators that’s current, relevant, and focused on helping you serve your students better.
DEGREE PROGRAMS FOR EDUCATORS WHO WANT TO GO FURTHER
Teachers make a vital contribution to society by preparing children and young people to become independent, thoughtful adults. Cornerstone University provides practical master’s degree programs in education and TESOL through its Professional & Graduate Studies (PGS) division for veteran teachers who want to raise their skills to a new level.
Our education master’s degree programs offer:
- Practical professional knowledge delivered by experienced instructors
- Convenient class meeting and location times, plus online learning options for some programs
- Curriculum developed with state of Michigan and national certification standards in mind
- Unique learning experiences, including study abroad options
- Christ-centered worldview and principles integrated into course topics, for training that supports your values
ONLINE MASTER OF ARTS IN EDUCATION DEGREE PROGRAM
Cornerstone University PGS offers an M.A. in Education delivered entirely online. Qualified applicants can choose from one of three degree concentrations:
- Curriculum & Instruction: Develop a deeper understanding of teaching methods, curriculum planning, and effective assessment of students. This 24-month, 35 credit online M.A. program looks at issues surrounding student behavior, strategies for teaching students with disabilities, and methods for capitalizing on diverse classroom populations.
- Educational Leadership: Designed with administrators in mind, this 24-month, 35 credit online master’s degree focuses on the challenges that schools face at the management level. Course topics cover the ethical, legal, and regulatory issues affecting K-12 school administrations, plus effective program development and community relationship building.
- Educational Technology: This 24 month, 35 credit program examines technology-mediated learning, from curriculum design through assessment. Graduates will understand how to integrate technology within the traditional classroom as well as theories and strategies for developing online learning environments.
The online M.A. in Education program culminates in a master’s project for all tracks. For the Educational Leadership track, an internship is also included.
MASTER OF ARTS IN TESOL – TEACHING ENGLISH TO SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES
Prepare to teach English to speakers of other languages at home or internationally with Cornerstone University PGS. We offer three different programs (a full Master of Arts in TESOL degree program, a Graduate Certificate, and an ESL Endorsement) focused on Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). These programs cover linguistics, the principles of second language acquisition, social and cultural issues, and advanced English grammar. They also offer practical teaching methods for reaching across the language barrier, all grounded in a Christ-centered worldview.
The programs are available online, or through a blended study option that combines online classes with a 6-day summer residency at our Grand Rapids campus each July.
Our online study option allows out-of-state and international students to take advantage of the program. Students choosing the online format are required to attend an approved TESOL conference or seminar each year of their study with an expectation of students attending two or three conferences or seminars in total.
Students in these programs also have the opportunity to put their skills to the test first-hand, with short foreign study experiences in Europe.
- Master of Arts TESOL: The 20-22 month, 33-credit TESOL program is designed for current ministers, missionaries, or professional educators in public, private, or religious institutions. Successful graduates who are also licensed as K-12 school teachers may take a certification test after passing.
- Graduate Certificate – TESOL: This 10 month, 24-credit program is designed to provide teachers, educators, school paraprofessionals, ministry professionals, missionaries, and others without a teaching certification the knowledge and skills for teaching foreign language students. It features many of the same courses covered in the MA program. It is available online or in a blended online/on-campus format.
- ESL Endorsement for Teachers: This 9 month, 22-credit program satisfies the requirements to prepare for an ESL Endorsement test, and covers many of the same courses as the MA in TESOL and Graduate Certificate in TESOL programs. Teachers can use the knowledge gained in this program to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) 086 (or similar testing for other states) for their ESL endorsement.
INSPIRE WITH CORNERSTONE UNIVERSITY PGS
Ready to give your students more? To find out more about the master’s-level education and TESOL degree programs at our Christ-centered university in Michigan, including costs, admissions requirements, and course options, contact an admissions representative today.