ESL Endorsement for Teachers
Take the first step towards ESL Endorsement as a teacher with Cornerstone University Professional & Graduate Studies.
Our 9-14 month, 22 credit hour ESL Endorsement program features master’s-level knowledge and teaching skills. It satisfies the requirements to prepare for an ESL Endorsement test – English as a Second Language (ESL) 086 (or similar testing for other states) – and covers many of the same courses as the MA in TESOL and Graduate Certificate in TESOL programs. You’ll gain insight into theories of language structure, social development, and second language acquisition while you develop practical instructional strategies for teaching across the language barrier. This program features a Christ-centered learning environment that can help you live your faith through your work.
What You Can Learn – TESOL Certification Endorsement
The goal of this program is to equip you to plan effective instructional programs for English-language learners based on an understanding of linguistic theory, educational research, and widely accepted instructional strategies.
- Issues in TESOL
- TESOL Methodology I
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Advanced English Grammar
- Second Language Acquisition
- A TESOL Capstone, which includes a 60-hour practicum
To gain your endorsement in Michigan you will need to take and pass the MTTC-86 after completing your program. The MTTC-86 test is available in October, January, April, or July. Other states will have similar certification tests. Check with your state board of education for more details.
To fit with the busy schedules of teachers, the TESOL endorsement program is available either online or in a blended format, with a 6-day residency in July on campus in Grand Rapids, MI. Online classes have start dates throughout the year. Both programs feature a cohort model in which a group of students progress through each course together. This format encourages strong relationships among classmates and instructors.
- Provide official transcripts from an accredited higher education institution, proving the applicant holds a bachelor’s degree and graduated with a 2.7 GPA or higher (international applicants will need to have a credential evaluation completed).
- Submit two letters of recommendation on the forms Cornerstone provides. One letter must come from a person in a supervisory position at the student’s current employer, and should outline the applicant’s suitability for graduate-level study, personal qualities, and professional achievements. The other should be written by an individual (e.g., former instructor) who can vouch for the applicant’s academic abilities.
- Students whose primary language is not English must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 577 (paper-based test), 233 (computer-based test), or 90-91 (Internet-based test).
- International students must provide an Affidavit of Support proving the student has the financial resources necessary to complete the program.
- Submit a current resume providing information on the applicant’s professional, academic and community achievements.
Learn More Now
Contact Cornerstone University PGS today to learn how you can earn your ESL Endorsement with us!